Where Can I Get a Replacement Deed Poll?

Lost or misplaced your deed poll? Not to worry, it happens to the best of us and there are a few options when it comes to a replacement name change document. Depending on where you obtained your deed poll and when it was completed the process will differ.

I've lost my deed poll

Don't worry, your change of name isn't affected. Your deed poll certificate may be gone but your change of name is still legal. All you need to do is apply for a new declaration, you can do this by clicking here. If you need a backdated deed poll or are required to prove how long you have been using your new name, you will need to request an archive copy or apply for a retroactive declaration.

A replacement deed poll is only needed in very special circumstances, such as when applying for a Gender Recognition Certificate or where you need to prove how long you have been using your new name for legal reasons.

A replacement deed poll is one produced from the NameChangeOnline central deed poll archive as a replacement for your original, it will bear the same date and act as proof that you adopted your new name on the date specified. You’ll need one if you need to prove to that you’ve been using your new name since a certain date.

What if I bought my deed poll elsewhere?

Don't worry. Were here to help regardless of where you purchased your original documents. We can produce a new deed poll declaration for your name change which will be equally as valid as your original. You can apply quickly and easily online by clicking here, or contact our support team 24 hours a day by clicking speak to an advisor at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Retroactive deed polls

There is another option to proving your change of name. A retroactive deed poll. A retroactive deed poll is unique because it takes the form of a statutory declaration, a special type of legal document that contains a statement that certain facts are true. A retroactive deed poll need to be signed by either a;

  • Solicitor

  • Notary of the Public

  • Justice of the Peace

  • Commissioner for Oaths

You will need to present them with evidence of your lost deed poll. This could be proof of your original name and subsequent proof of your new name, for example a driving license in a name other than your birth name

A retroactive deed poll is considerably more expensive than a new deed poll or a replacement deed poll which are equally as valid.

Remember, if you purchased your original deed poll through NameChangeOnline, we will have a copy stored in the central deed poll archive. Contact us for replacement copies of your original documents.

Taking the next step...

The UK Deed Poll Service is the UK's biggest and best deed poll specialist. We have produced over a million change of name declarations and certified copies, for hundreds of thousands of customers. Our staff are online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week helping our clients negotiate the name change process and providing free impartial advice. Whether you choose to apply for a deed poll with ourselves or not, feel free to contact us using the online chat function should you have any questions or concerns.

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Are you ready to get started?

The name change process is quick and simple. Apply online in minutes using our easy to navigate digital application and receive your Official Deed Poll Change of Name Declaration in two days.