What is a

Deed Poll Declaration




A Deed Poll is a special type of legal document, similar to a conventional contract. The difference being that were a contract requires a minimum of two parties to be legally binding, a Deed Poll only requires one. It is important to note that Deed Polls are not solely used in the name change process and are a generic legal document similar to a statutory declaration.


Conventional contracts generally outline the roles, rights, and responsibilities of each party to the agreement, and bind them under penalty of law to abide by them. Similarly, a Deed Poll binds the individual making the declaration to perform the course of action and undertake the covenants outlined within the deed.

Deed Poll Change of Name

The most common use for a deed poll is to change a name. They can be used to change the forename, middle name or last name, some people choose to change their entire name with a deed poll declaration.

The deed is a legal document, that once signed in the presence of a witness (executed) completes the official change of name process. The only remaining step is for the applicant to inform agencies such as HM Passport Office and the DVLA by presenting the deed poll.

Changing your name by deed poll takes around 2 days. The timeframe to receive your new documents from the Government will vary depending on how soon after the change of name you inform them.

Deed Poll to change a title

In much the same way that a deed poll change of name declaration can be used to officially change your name, a deed poll can be used to change your social title.

For example, many people choose to reassume the title Ms or Miss during the divorce process. 

People are also increasingly deciding to take genderless titles such as Mx, in place of MR or Miss. A deed poll declaration can help you to officially take a new title and have your records and identity documents changed to reflect this.

You can find more information on changing your title by visiting our Title Change page.

Deed Poll Change of Gender

A combination of a deed poll change of name and a title change is often used to assume a new gender. Both a title change and a name change can be completed on the same deed poll application.

Many people choose to take genderless titles such as Mx, in place of the traditional Mr or Miss.

It is important to note however, that if you have  been issued with a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) you wont need a deed poll declaration to change your name or social title.

You can only change the gender on your passport with a Gender Recognition Certificate.